Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The 'Big' Day

The highlight (to me) of this course is finally over! What a relief! The preparation for the oral presentation certainly was blood, sweat and tears! Blood because you get high blood pressure dealing with a computer. Sweat because the weather leading up to the oral presentation was extremely humid and hot. Tears because the long hours in front of the computer caused the dry eyes thus resulting in (lots of) tears production. However, I felt that it was all worth it after watching our own recorded presentation. All of us have indeed put in much effort to make this presentation a success!

I am thankful for my two team mates - Lisu and Mark. Lisu certainly has great (artistic/creative) ideas while Mark lessens the pain when dealing with Powerpoint. In fact, I would say our communication between our team is excellent (which brings me back to the point made in my first blog post - Mutual Understanding). For the preparation of the slides, each of us had taken the initiative to complete whatever is left from the first person who started working on the slides. We understand that everyone is busy with regards to tests, assignments etc. Thus, we are able to have the initiative to 'cover up' for each other. Unfortunately, we still had to meet in school on a Sunday, the day just before the oral presentation. Although we had rehearsed a couple of times prior to Sunday, we still had to be in school from 10am - 5pm to perfect our presentation. Having a group member from the School of Computing (SoC) is definitely an added advantage. We were able to use a room that is similar to the size of our classroom with a projector to simulate the conditions in our classroom.

For the delivery of the presentation, I felt that all of us have improved tremendously. Personally, I had taken my very first bold step of giving a presentation without having to memorize/read a script. That was an accomplishment for me. For the past 2.5 years, I've had to give many presentations. For each of the presentations, I had wanted to present spontaneously (without memorizing/reading). But I did not have the courage to do it because they were for core modules and the usual thinking pops out - 'what if I forget? what if I don't know what to say? what if I don't know how to answer?' So, I am indeed thankful for this module to give me the chance of doing what I've always thought about doing.

I felt that I was more confident compared to the time during the Peer Teaching presentation. I find that I had also made less frequent pauses (maybe it's due to the fact that I didn't have to search my memory for what to say). Indeed, I find having a spontaneous presentation will help with the smooth flow of presentations. There is a downside though - countless practice, practice and practice. For the peer teaching, I had practiced in front of a mirror. However, I find that I am unable to look at myself in the mirror to give the presentation. For the oral presentation, it was different. Slowly, and eventually, I managed to overcome the self-consciousness and was able to look at myself in the mirror. It was definitely a confidence booster! This also helped me with regards to having eye contact with the audience. During the Peer Teaching feedback session, Ms Lim commented that I was staring into space. That I have to agree. It was different for the oral presentation. I found that I had not much difficulty having eye contact with the audience, and that helped me to relax after awhile.

That being said, being spontaneous may also result in forgetting to mention the main points! I had actually missed out a few points that I wanted to mention. I asked Lisu if she noticed that I had missed out a few points. Thankfully she didn't. Hopefully this would mean that the audience is able to see the flow of my presentation as well!

For the slides, I must say credit goes to Mark for designing the background of the slide (it was not a template), drawing the "partitioned rubbish chute. Overall, the slides were pleasing to the eye. Earlier on, we overlooked some parts like having more than 2 lines per point etc. We worked on the feedback given and spent 1.5 hours making sure that the 6*7 rule was followed, logos were not covered, better quality photos were used.

Thank you Mark and Lisu!

A pity that I was unable to make it for class on Thursday. I love to see all my classmates present. I can see that Team Energy has made improvements from the time we had Peer Teaching presentations though. Great job guys! I'm sure the rest of the class would have improved by working on Ms Lim's feedback as well.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Shawn,

    Your group's idea is, personally I think, the best one among ours. The way you presented showed your confidence of its success. And based on your slides, obviously everyone can realize how much effort you all put on it.

    Congratulations ^_^, OP is now over and time for us to revise for final exam =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shawn!

    We did it! Love Team Green! HAHA. It was quite an achievement to do without the script. I remember during the practice session you are still contemplating whether or not you should bring in your script. Eventually you managed to pass your psychological barrier and managed to speak confidently without any script.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Shawn
    Great job done! Now I could still remember your presentation vividly. Thanks to Lisu's artistic sense, I really like your cute powerpoint slides. haha ^_^
    It is a bit surprising for me to know this is the first time you're doing a presentation without memorizing. Because in my opinion, you have almost all the qualities to be a good speaker, especially your confidence. I notice that when you talk, in the peer teaching or the monk job interview, your voice is always steady and firm. And that convinces me. I believe that's the key to any presentation.
    Just keep giving speeches without any scripts, I bet definitely you will be an excellent speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chen Chen,

    Thank you very much! Haha, practicing in front of a mirror many times really works to boost confidence! And yes, I don't know why but girls like her, looking like a kid, just have lots of creativity juice.

    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to come to class on the Thursday you all had your presentations. I would love to watch the videos though! But I'm sure all of us would have improved from the peer teaching session by working on Ms Lim's feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Shawn for your compliments! I think your team did really well too. I'll give you an A first =D Looking forward to your final post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there :D

    Yup :) we did a good job there. But is it really your 1st time presenting without speech? I thought that you were quite experienced already, since u can talk quite naturally in the practice :D And like you say, they method to present spontaneously is practice. For me, I still have to print out the speech during our practice sessions and start reading from it until I memorize it. then I 'd try to recall it a number of times, too.

    Glad that we carry ourselves over the project successfully :D You guys helped me a lot when I had my NOC interviews, since I couldn't find spare time to do anything at that point :D

    'd try to learn from you and present in front of the mirror :D It's still very hard for me to do so, because I spent so much time looking at computers/camera/other people. But 'll definitely have to try :D

    All the best to your exams then. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos in Vietnam also :)

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hellooo shawn!:)

    yupyup! ting agreee with mark! It totally doesn't look like its your first time presenting without a script :D you looked natural during the presentation and it doesn't come across that you are memorising from script too! As an audience I could see the flow of the speech too. Well done and great job for the first attempt :D I believe with practices and exposure, you would be able to give confident speeches for your lifescience cores presentations and FYP's too! :)

    Team spirit can be felt in your team too and this is what I really like :) especially in the Q&A part where each of you try to add on to the other's team mate point to complement a fuller answer. Great coherence :D

    Cheers,
    ting

    ReplyDelete